Number of Partay Animals

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The day the club ate and ate...but still felt hungry.

So our Singapore Airlines frequent flier girl finally touches down.

Juliana, whom I have not seen for the last 20 years, and I finally got to catch up on what's been happening in the last 2 decades. Apparently we, together with Joan, formed the "Brownie Kitting (sic) Club" back in Primary 3. It was supposed to be 'knitting' but as you can tell, Juliana had awesome spelling skills back then. :p We had our own membership cards and all, and even admitted other members if they wanted to join our very 'exclusive' club. I don't remember what exactly we did in the club although Juliana said we apparently crocheted. Ah well...

We decided to hook up at Mimolette aka Bimbolette because it is known for the sheer amount of modelesque bimbo wannabes who frequent this joint on Friday and Saturday nights. We decided since it was a Monday afternoon and a public holiday at that, we wouldn't be shoulder to shoulder with any of the 'usual patrons' and we were right.

Nestled amongst lush greenery and horse stables at the old Turf Club is a rustic meets Hampton's style charming little cottage. White wrought iron garden benches and bird cages decorate the exterior, giving it a enchanting European atmosphere. Fluttering on the patio in the mid afternoon wind are white oversized round paper latterns and paper umbrellas turned upside down. Magnificent horses trot peacefully in the surrounding fields and munch grass in an idyllic country setting. This is not the Singapore we're all used to.

There were mostly families and intimate parties of 2 or 3 inside the restaurant and most unfortunately for them, our boisterous group was anything but quiet. We were seated right beside an unfriendly, uncommunicative couple who were...guess what they were doing...reading. Yup, reading, not to each other but reading to themselves. What great company, huh? I mean, ok, reading in a cafe, fine, but reading in a freakin' restaurant. Have they exhausted all conversation that they're resorted to ignoring each other and just fuckin' read? Don't get me wrong, I love reading but how pretentious is it to break out a book each and start reading in a nice, ritzy restaurant? Lucky for us, they left right after we arrived, not before giving us the evil eye. Ah well...


Horse that stood right in front of us and did...nothing.

The interior was tastefully decorated with comfy chairs and huge bouquets of silk hydrangeas...I love fresh hydrangeas, they're so classy and smell so good. No, these have no smell. :(

Our "Brownie Kitting (sic) Club". These handmade membership cards have been kept for more than 20 years and are still in such great condition, kudos to Juliana! That Tokyo Disneyland paper belonged to me, I actually remember it.

The original 'leders'(sic) of our club.


David had the Eggs Florentine and it was really good. The spinach inside the english muffin was fresh and not the frozen kind and was very well cooked to compliment the hollandaise sauce. I was quite impressed with it. The salad had a very yummy balsamic vinaigrette reduction as well. I'm not much of an eggs florentine fan but this was heavenly....


I didn't feel like anything savoury so went for the Cranberries and Pecan Scone. The fear that I have whenever I have a scone is that it is too dry and too hard. I must say Mimolette makes it well. It was infused with the tartness of cranberries and the pastry was moist and flavourful. The bitter sweetness of the orange marmalade and blueberry preserves complimented the scone wonderfully. I'm not much of a whipped cream fan so hardly had any but the berries were yummy! I miss having berries so readily available while I was in Canada. There are waaaay too expensive here.

Juliana got adventurous and got the Duck Salad with oranges and I thought it was really delish but both she and Joan thought it tasted a bit too 'ducky'. Loved the juicy plump tomatoes and the citrus dressing.



Joan had the Crepe Du Jour and although I didn't try it, how can anyone go wrong with nutella, bananas and mixed berries?!


Juliana was still hungry after her 'ducky' salad, well, who could blame her?? Look at how bloody skinny she is and it was afterall, a salad! So she caved and ordered the Banana & Toffee Hotcakes and it was apparently really heavenly as well. I only tried that toffee sauce eventhough I hate toffee. I think it was cooked with Grand Marnier coz it had an orange liquorice taste and it didn't have that annoying sticky texture.

Overall, the dining experience was beyond our expectations. The food had a french undertone to it and I think we would go back, for a lazy brunch. The service could be improved though...Juliana's 'free' mash potatoes never showed up.


Janice joined us later, late as usual! But at least she made it!

Outside Mimolette sat 2 rabbits.
We didn't know what to do after Mimolette so decided to check out House at Dempsy Hill. House houses a cafe, bar and spa but we've only been to the cafe in this once British army barracks convert. The place has got a comforting casual and cozy canteen feel, with bare concrete floors, overhanging naked light bulbs, minimalist metal tables and retro inspired chairs. Their menus are presented in a newsletter form with clever and kitschy graphics and ads.
On this day, it turned out that House had a flea market. When we got there, all the stores were just winding down so we didn't really get a chance to check out the wares, seemed like mostly blogshops, my future competitors. I wish I had known about it, I would've loved to check them out, great chic location for a flea market.

Ah well, we sat down and guess what, more food. Although it felt like we ate all day, we weren't full coz we just ate snacks, no real food. So we ordered their supposedly legendary truffle fries and their metre long sausage. The fries were disappointing to say the least. I thought I tasted a hint of the truffle oil and since I don't eat fast food, it tasted pretty good to me. Juliana said they tasted like Mickey Dee fries, all in all, everyone agreed it wasn't worth $9 for a small tiffin of fries. As for their signature sausage, I thought they tasted better last time, so nothing special there. Their cheese platter was awesome though. Came with 3 types of cheeses, didn't get their names but loved them all. Great platter filled with salted nuts, fresh berries and dried fruit, only thing was they gave waaaay too few crackers and when we asked for more, they wouldn't give us more, which I thought was a really dumb restaurant strategy since crackers cost next to nothing.

The flea market was just wrapping up when we came in.

The old school motif on the plates, kinda quaint.


The so so truffle fries.

We were still hungry so we ordered the ratatouille thin crust pizza. Not what I expected but still tasty nonetheless. It had huge chunks of grilled peppers, zucchini, egg plant and mushrooms on it, plus a high pile of arugula leaves. I think all pizzas should be thin crust and topped with arugula leaves, I just love arugula and can eat it with anything! Thing is, they're so bloody expensive in Singapore too...:(


Juliana and Edwin, who joined us at House. Not sure if she'll bring him anywhere after this...lol...


Jan brought a friend, KJ, along.


Funny thing I gotta bring up, Jan actually confided in me and said she thought all Caucasians were full of shit until she met David. Like awwww....how sweet is that? My friends love you, Da Bi! :D


Mimolette
T. 6467 7748
55 Fairways Drive
Singapore 285864
Tue-Fri 12-3pm, 6-11pm
Fri Night Supperclub 10-3am (by invite/guestlist only)
Sat 10-3pm, 6-11pm
Sun 10-6pm


House
T.6476 6050
8D Dempsy Road
Singapore 249672
Mon-Fri 11-2.30pm, 2.30-10.30pm
Sat & Sun 11-9.30pm

Can't wait to catch up with more old friends...

Lady Partay.

No comments: